Monday, June 18, 2018

Perianal Abscess Surgery

Hello!

I never knew I'm going to ever post about this because I never thought it will happen to me in the first place. Basically I had a surgery recently due to Perianal Abscess and damm, it was a painful but funny experience.


Perianal Abscess
Definition: A perianal abscess is a shallow collection of pus under the skin surrounding the anus.
Disclaimer: All photos used are google image which are almost 80% accurate to how it really looks like in real life. Just not comfortable with showing real pictures since it's quite a private area.


Source: https://abdominalkey.com/anorectal-abscess-2/
Above picture is simple graphic to show you where exactly is the abscess. 

How did I found out?
Well, I had this pimple like pop out near my anus area for a few times and I didn't bother until the recent one gotten too painful. For the first 2 times, it grow to about the size of 1cm by 1cm max, slightly painful, not red and it kind of went away after a week. I did google on all the possible reasons for it but didn't think much since it was not that painful, just a little uncomfortable.

But the recent one, it grew really huge to about 3cm by 3cm, gotten super red and affects how I walk and sits.

I totally max-ed out my google skills and find all the possible "illness" I had. To be honest, the most difficult process is actually for me to SEE how it actually looks like before I can google image similar "illness".

With my Samsung Note 8 super good front camera, I sat on my bed with my panties down and legs spread apart, I placed the front camera right in front of my anus and took a glimpse of it through my camera lenses. Eventually, I decided to snap a photo of it with my another hand covering my private parts. Okay, I was disgusted at myself doing that but the focus here is the DAMM HUGE AND PAINFUL ABSCESS!! PS: I didn't know it was call abscess at the point of time.


Source: https://www.slideshare.net/swornimgyawali/anorectal-abscess
This image shows how my abscess looks like. Similarity level is 99% but might was more protruding like it was really bursting. 



Seeking treatment
With my google skills, I concluded myself to have external hemorrhoids since I kind of felt like I fit those symptoms stated online. So I went CGH A&E and loudly proclaimed to all nurses "hey, I have hemorrhoids so I'm seeking treatment here.". Google also states that it could be treated with over the counter medication. And yes, that was my intention of visiting the hospital - getting effective  medication that can stop my pain.

Lo and Behold, I was told that I need to go through an operation to cut open that 3CM BY 3CM PIMPLE LIKE THING. I swear I was laughing at myself. This also means I need to be admitted, take hospitalization leave etc... I was thinking hard how to explain the medical condition to my boss man.

Admission Process
So I was immediately hospitalized the night I went to seek treatment. It was quite a long process because I got to wait for empty bed. I was damm fortunate because I just gotten myself hospitalization insurance activated like 2 weeks before this happens.

But I got to say, the services and food in CGH were superb.

Managed to get a B1 ward bed at about 2.30am. I thought I could sleep. But hell no. Nurses and doctors started coming in to check on my anus from time to time.

The full process of checking includes me crouching like a ball on my side, take out my pants and panties and act like I'm all fine with a opposite gender doctor looking at my half shaved private area, doctor touching my abscess with me saying "ouch pain" at least once and poking into my anus to check for other potential complications. (Note: I'm not complaining at all, just sharing my true feelings. No where near feeling offended due to the medical needs of checking.)

Next moment, the doctor explained to be the operation process and shared with me potential complications. I swear the complications scare the hell out of me. I'm not gonna explain further but just google "Anus Fistula and Incontinence". I was put in queue for emergency operating theater and was told I will need to wait as there may always be more urgent case cutting  my queue. Definitely agreeable to the process since I'm not in a dying state. hahahaha.

Source: https://accessemergencymedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=683&sectionid=45343752
I'm not sure this this was how it was cut for mine, but it seems to be similar based on  my current wound. 


Operation
Surprisingly, I get the operation slot at about 9am the same day.

So I was asked to change to my operation outfit, laid me on the operation bed and pushed me to the operation theater. It was my first time going through a surgery and I had wild imagination how it would be. I have been seeing A LOT of Korean drama operation room scene and I swear I thought it will be like that. But well, the real experience does not differ much.

Pushed to the waiting area with an old experienced motherly nurse explaining to two young nurses on things to look out for in patient. I was no where near irritated and I'm happy that they are producing more nurses with hands on experience. They placed some things onto my chest (I think is to read my heart beat and so on.)

Next moment, I was pushed into the operation theater and that is when it was like an action packed movie. There is this middle aged nurse who is damm super experienced and seems like she had control of the whole operation theater. She know EXACTLY what to do, delegated and explained to all other assistant nurses. I swear I was damm impressed. I really thought K Drama operating theater scene are just off the script kind of speech but DAMM IT WAS HAPPENING RIGHT IN MY FACE.

I was given General Anesthesia first which caused me to be like half asleep. When I was half asleep, they did Spinal Anesthesia to numb my lower part of the body. I could not feel the pain at all. With my half asleep self, the only few process I remember were them bring me from the portable operation bed to their fixed operation table, them rising my both legs up (totally same as how pregnant women deliver their babies), operating doctor drawing or cutting my wound and me saying "ouch pain" before going 100% unconscious.

When I was awake, I was already at the holding area with a big medical screen on top of me showing me all my heart beat, blood pressure and all. I also remember the nurses  asking me if I'm feeling okay or if there's any discomfort.

Okay, overall the experience was really good.

Post surgery
I was sent back to  my ward and I continued to sleep for the next few hours due to the GA administered. Needed to pee but was asked to pee in a portable bowl on my bed as I can't shift around. I had some trouble peeing even though the feeling was there. Took me awhile to get it out.

As it is an infected area, it was left as an open wound instead of stitch wound. After the operation, the open wound was heavily padded. I only felt the little pain almost 12 hours after the surgery. For the whole day, I was only administered some drip, antibiotic and pain killer and got to rest for the whole day, in my bed.

THE NEXT PHOTO IS SUPER DISTURBING. SEE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vRwGa9pRG8
Basically it looks exactly the same and it is damm freaking painful when in contact. There's also like a hole similar as above and that area is currently producing a lot of pus while the other side (lower part) is still producing part. In the hole area, I can see like something "black" which I have no idea what is it...




Discharge
The doctor and the medical team visited me the next day to check on my wound. I was told that it was quite superficial abscess and therefore I don't require daily dressing by GP. In fact, I was advised to wear pad on daily basis to prevent the blood and pus from staining my panties.

Today is my 5th day after the surgery and the wound is still hurting, discharging pus and blood. I remember I was told that it's normal but I'm afraid of any complications and will be visiting a GP to take a look at my wound to confirm that it's on the road to recover.

I was also asked to abstain from swimming and yoga for about 4 to 6 weeks, depending on how fast my wound heal.

THAT'S ALL.

btw, I googled and it mentioned that it is very common to get Anus Fistula after Perianal Abscess and there were also people who are suffering badly due to these condition :( I'm really praying hard I won't end up suffering this to this :(

No comments:

Post a Comment